08 June 2017
Disaster Update: 8 June 2017
1. Power outages: FM tower off, Sandkraal line off, Portion of Azizana Thembalethu off, Portion of Wilderness off, Portion of Parkdene off.
2. Sawdust Fire Houttek
3. Hoekwil and Glentana fire contained.
1. Hoekwil Serpentine Heights and Touwsranten - both fires contained.
2. Airport Road open.
3. 42 informal and formal structures in total affected by wind damage
1. Trees in road - Blanco, York Street, Bamboo Lane, Bergsig, Outeniqua Road, Dormehlsdrift, Lawaaikamp, Hoekwil
2. Veldbrand - Geelhoutboom, Glentana, Rooirivierrif, Airport Road
3. Trees on roof of house - Delville Park
4. Airport Road - electrical lines on road
Wednesday 7th June
1. GO GEORGE - all services running as per normal. Roof of shelter at Clinic, Pacaltsdorp blown off. Site secured and shelter removed.
2. Wilderness, airport and surrounding areas power restored. Pacaltsdorp due to be restored.
3. Thembalethu power down again due to high winds. Lines are tripping repeatedly. For safety and to avoid lines breaking and/or fire the decision has been taken to leave the electricity off until the wind has died down.
4. George Central and Suburbs off. 66kv line tripped
4. Uniondale - Outeniqua Substation (ESKOM) has tripped.
5. TAMSUI industrial area, parts of Pacaltsdorp, Groeneweide and surrounding areas off.
6. Hoekwil fire still burning but contained.
7. Ballots Bay veldfire being monitored.
George Municipality confirms that the following incidents have arisen following high winds overnight:
1. 32 informal structures have lost roofs/or been damaged
2. Tree landed on 2 houses in New Dawn Park and 1 in Borcherds. George Fire Brigade is working on removing the trees and securing the houses.
3. George Fire Brigade has cut down and removed 12 trees that landed in roads around George.
4. Power outages are reported in Thembalethu, Wilderness Heights, Industrial area and Parkdene due to either trees on lines or wind damage.
5. Herolds Bay, Oubaai and Hansmoeskraal power restored.
6. Low voltage issues are being experienced in Rosemore, Heather Park.
7. George Fire Brigade is currently active at a veldfire in Hoekwil, Serpentine Heights and another Touwsranten area. There are structures under threat, and the fire brigade is monitoring the wind.
8. A total of 26 fires have been dealt with by George Fire Brigade
George Municipality has activated the Disaster Management Plan and requests the public to phone all emergencies through to 044 8016300 available 24 hours and FIRE ONLY 044 8016311.
Initial reports indicate that the predicted Weather System will land in Cape Town from 11am this morning with rainfall expected in George area tonight. High winds remain a problem. The public is requested to secure items around their homes, clear gutters and drains before the rain comes through and be cautious when travelling on roads. Please ensure that all pets are safe. George Municipal departments remain on high alert.Last published 09 June 2017