09 April 2020
GEORGE MUNICIPALITY GUIDELINESS FOR INFORMAL TRADERS AND SPAZA SHOPS DURING THE COVID-19 NATIONAL LOCKDOWN PERIOD
GEORGE MUNICIPALITY GUIDELINESS
FOR INFORMAL TRADERS AND SPAZA SHOPS
DURING THE COVID-19 NATIONAL LOCKDOWN PERIOD
The following measures will be observed during the national lockdown period:
- Existing Spaza and/or house shops as well as fruit and vegetable shops that have a valid Certificate of Compliance from Garden Route District Municipality as well as a valid Business Licence from George Municipality: Community Services Department based in Meade Street, will be permitted to sell essential food items during the lockdown period. PLEASE note that NO products apart from essential food items may be sold.
- The abovementioned entities will only be permitted to operate between 08:00 and 18:00 and must maintain all distancing and related measures to mitigate against the spread of Covid-19. They must also ensure that their customers keep a social distance of 1,5 meter and must supply hand sanitising products to customers during the trading process.
- The abovementioned certificate and licence must always be available during operating hours and when requested by a Municipal Law Enforcement Officer or SAPS.
- Informal trading may ONLY take place at Council approved trading sites. NO informal trading will be permitted any other place within the George Municipal area. Informal Traders may only sell fruit and vegetables.
- Licence holders must be present during trading. Selling, ceding or exchange of licences will NOT be allowed.
- All applicable Legislation and Policies must be adhered to.
- The sale of cigarettes, tobacco products and alcohol are NOT permitted.
- The sale of any products other than non-prepared food products are not permitted, except for airtime.
- The sale of arts and crafts are prohibited during the COVID-19 lockdown period.
- The sale of Shisa Nyama is NOT permitted.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT UPON A BREACH OF THESE RULES A LICENCE MAY BE REVOKED IMMEDIATELY. THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER MUST REPORT ANY BREACH OF THESE RULES IMMEDIATELY TO THE DIRECTOR COMMUNITY SERVICES, WHO MAY SUSPEND OR WITHDRAW SUCH LICENCE WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT. ANY APPEALS IN REGARD TO A SUSPENSION OR WITHDRAWAL WILL BE DEALT WITH BY THE MUNICIPAL MANAGER.
Last published 09 April 2020