30 January 2018
# Invest in George
A City for a Sustainable Future
Significant investment attraction for George is currently underway through strategic partnerships between the Eden District Municipality, Provincial Government, and private sector businesses. Engagements with national and international investors will take place on 7 and 8 March 2018 at Oubaai, in George, under the theme "Garden Route Investment Conference: Creating Opportunity in global Uncertainty".
A Golden Opportunity – A Gem waiting to be Discovered!
The municipality believes actions speak louder than words. That is why it is determined to help revitalize the local economy through concrete actions. It is also committed to accelerating the pace of growth in the city. And the municipality has every reason to be brimming with optimism: the City of George offers great opportunities to the investor and entrepreneur, which makes it a preferred investment destination. It also offers tremendous advantages that are waiting to be capitalised on. So, what are these advantages? Let’s take a look at a few.
George is strategically located midway between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth in the breathtakingly beautiful Garden Route. It fulfils the role of the services hub in the Southern Cape and is well placed and connected for trade with the rest of South
Africa and internationally. All of this creates an ideal opportunity to offer incentives to attract more investors to George.
The advantages of George do not only include investment opportunities, but also the lifestyle and attractions of the Garden Route. The attraction of George lies in its scenic beauty, safe living environment, temperate climate, and excellent infrastructure, including an airport. These all add up to offer residents a high quality of life.
The municipality wishes to attract investors to George and believes that with a proper incentive scheme, it will be able to facilitate new business as well as the expansion of existing businesses in George.
The aim of the incentive scheme is to lower the start-up costs and initial utility expenses of a new investment to improve cash flow and survival rate. That means less risk, more profit, and an excellent chance of survival during those critical early years.
The incentive scheme is based on the key economic nodes as identified in the George Spatial Development Framework (GSDF). There are currently three incentive nodes, namely the Urban Development node, Industrial Development node and the Special Development node.
Each node is unique in terms of location in George, type of development earmarked, scope of supporting developments and assigned development rights.
This unprecedented platform for the public sector and business sectors to engage is foreseen to boost the economy through:
- B2B partnerships;
- Government and Private Sector partnerships;
- Establishing businesses;
- Expanding businesses;
- Creating jobs;
The following delegations from around the world have been invited to the Garden Route Investment Conference:
- Singapore business;
- Chinese Business Delegation
- Swedish Business delegation;
- South African Ambassador in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh Maldives and Nepal with delegation
OBJECTIVES OF THE GARDEN ROUTE INVESTMENT CONFERENCE
The overarching objective of the conference is to attract national and international investors to the Garden Route region and to showcase the investment potential and opportunities that exist within the area. Other objectives include:
- Providing an overview of the National, Provincial and Regional economic development trajectories to investors.
- Showcasing investment/business success stories as case studies
- Pursuing business development and fostering relations with prospective investors.
- Facilitating investment by pre-identifying and providing customised information packages to prospective investors regarding opportunities.
- Arrange one-on-one sessions between municipalities/businesses and potential investors.
- Ensure that measures are in place for a smooth and efficient planning process, which would aid to generate investment outcomes (ease of doing business, investment readiness, etc.).
- Provide a platform where incentives are shared with investors.
Sectors that are most likely to attract investment:
- SMART City Concept
- Oil & Gas
- Film Industry
- Oceans Economy / Small Harbours
- Timber Economy
Small-Medium and Micro Enterprises (SMMEs) will also benefit from the Investment Conference.
- Funding fair envisaged for the Investment Conference.
- Kick-start of Export Development Programme
The George Municipality has leveraged the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act (Act 5 of 2000) Regulations 2017 and the George Municipality’s Supply Chain Management Policy, where 80 points will be scored for price and 20 points for B-BBEE status to grow its economy, procure sustainably, create jobs, to provide more benefits to Small-Medium Micro Enterprises and save money, of course.Last published 30 January 2018