One of our strategic goals is to develop and grown George with innovative and entrepreneurial solutions - for all of the Citizens of George. Our Vision is George - A City for a Sustainable Future. We live our values, focus on our citizens, work smart, act like owners and are the brand.
Please follow links for George Lights Festival application and indemnity forms:
George - two for one!
Financial independence and the highest quality of life on offer
George was recently hailed as one of the Western Cape cities offering the highest quality of life, beating Cape Town according to Numbeo’s data which indicates that George offers the highest safety rating, a good climate, a relatively affordable cost of living, low traffic and low levels of pollution. In terms of total cost of living, George is 21% cheaper than the City of Cape Town and 9% cheaper than Port Elizabeth. This is according to Expatistan, a collaborative international cost of living index. The most noticeable saving was found in the housing sector, where, on average housing costs were up to 49% cheaper relative to Cape Town. Read the full article in News
The Garden Route & Klein Karoo Film website is live! Please have a look and link to our respective sites:
A City for a Sustainable Future
Significant investment attraction for George is currently underway through strategic partnerships between the Eden District Municipality, Provincial Government, and private sector businesses. Engagements with national and international investors will take place on 7 and 8 March 2018 at Oubaai, in George, under the theme "Garden Route Investment Conference: Creating Opportunity in global Uncertainty". Follow the link for more information:
Municipal Money is a website for Ratepayers to review how municipal money is spent. Follow the link: https://municipalmoney.gov.za/
Top 10 reasons for investing in George
- Live and play with the beauty of the Garden Route as your backdrop – considered one of the best scenic drives in the world
- A safe living environment with comparatively low crime rates
- A temperate climate with mild summers and winters and rainfall year round
- Excellent schools (public and private) and tertiary education institutions, with NMMU George Campus having already embarked on extensive expansions in degrees offered locally.
- World class municipal infrastructure including water provision, sewage systems, roads and electrical distribution systems.
- George Airport offers multiple daily flights to and from Johannesburg as well as Cape Town – this means only a few hours by plane to the main economic hubs of South Africa
- Very little, if any, peak time traffic, soon to be further alleviated by a world class public transport system (Go George)
- An investor friendly local municipality that will go the extra mile to ensure business growth is supported where possible within its mandate
- A well-diversified economy offering opportunities from primary agriculture to higher order financial services, the central hub for services across the Southern Cape
- All the amenities and shopping opportunities available in any big city at the Garden Route Mall and various new retail developments to come in the near future.
Read more on “George Economy and growth” and “A golden opportunity for investors” in our document section.
There are various excellent estate agents and business brokers active in George, a Google search or visit to the George Herald Business Directory should provide you with a detailed list.
George has four 4 major banks, West FNB, ABSA, STANDARD BANK and NEDBANK. Our two smaller banks include CAPITEC and AFRICAN BANK.
For information on business registrations and protecting your intellectual property visit the Companies and Intellectual Property commission website on http://www.cipc.co.za/
Visit the Government Portal for information on business incentives on http://www.investmentincentives.co.za/
Visit our Community Services section for information on lifestyle, schools / learning institutions etc.
Tel: 044 801 9111 / 9069
Manager: Local Economic Development
Tel: 044 802 9089
Last published 31 October 2019