Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Rain Boosts Dams in the George Municipal Area, But Water Conservation Measures Remain

In the photo: The Water Management Task Team, established in October last year, continues to meet regularly to coordinate drought response measures.

As of Monday, 16 February 2026, the Garden Route Dam has risen to 56.89%, up from 43.61% last week, following 55mm of rainfall recorded over the past seven days. The Haarlem Dam has increased to 29%, up from 20%, after 46mm of rainfall in the same period.

“The recent rain and its positive impact on both dams are very welcome,” said Executive Mayor of George, Browen Johnson. “However, we are not out of the woods yet. Weather forecasts still indicate above-normal temperatures and below-average rainfall in the months ahead.”

Mayor Johnson cautioned that while dam levels have improved, water usage remains high. “At the current consumption rate, with hot weather, evaporation, and no rainfall, the level of the dam can drop by up to 2% per week”.

Echoing this message, the Director for Civil Engineering Services, Jannie Koegelenberg, said the dam level will have to increase considerably, be maintained for a period of three months or more, as per the approved drought policy. Further, the weather predictions significantly improve before the lifting of restrictions can be reconsidered. “A short-term improvement cannot justify changing restrictions or emergency tariffs, as conditions may deteriorate again rapidly,” Koegelenberg said. “Level 2D Water Demand Management Measures and Level 3 Emergency Water Tariffs therefore remain in place.”

The recent improvement in dam levels does not revoke the Classification of a National Disaster in terms of Section 23 of the Disaster Management Act 57 of 2002, relating to drought and the possible interruption of water provision in the Eastern Cape, Western Cape, and Northern Cape. The Head of the National Disaster Management Centre, Elias Sithole, gazetted the classification of a National Disaster on 4 February 2026.

The classification remains in effect until formally revoked by the National Disaster Management Centre following reassessment. In the interim, all disaster-related measures remain applicable in accordance with the Act.

George Municipality’s Water Management Task Team, established in October last year, continues to meet three times per week to implement and oversee drought mitigation measures.

Residents, businesses, and visitors are urged to continue using water responsibly and to comply fully with Level 2D restrictions.

The Water Management Task Team meets three times per week to implement and monitor water conservation interventions.