Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Human Settlements

New Housing and Informal Housing: 044 802 2003
Physical address New Housing: Sanlam Building, St John Street
Existing Housing: 044 801 9113/9078
Physical address Existing Housing: Behind Main Building (next to clinic)
Director and Administration: 044 801 9474

Click for FLISP Brochure.
Click for Policies related to Human Settlements.
Click for Forms related to Human Settlements.
Click for Guidelines for Human Settlements (Love your Home Pre and Post Ownership)

The George Municipality acts as implementation agent of new housing projects for the Western Cape Department of Human Settlements.

To apply for housing in the George Municipal area, persons must register on the Western Cape Housing Database by visiting the Section: Existing Housing and fill in a form. According to the National Housing Criteria you may qualify for housing if you are:
• A South African citizen
• Over 21 and mentally competent to sign a contract
• Married or living with a partner, single and have dependents, a single military veteran or aged without dependents (young people over 18 can apply if single and without independents with presumption that situation will change over the years and can be updated accordingly)
• Earn less than R3500 per month per household
• A first-time government subsidy recipient
• A first-time home owner

Documentation required to apply:
• Salary advice of the earning adults in the household OR
• Affidavit confirming that you are unemployed
• Identity documents of adults in the household
• Marriage certificate if applicable
• Divorce order and proof of custody of children if applicable
• Birth certificates of children if applicable
• Death certificate of husband or wife if applicable
• Proof of SASSA if permanently disabled

Once the form is filled in, the application is processed in the presence of the applicant. The database gives the applicant a unique reference number, which remains the same until he or she receives a housing opportunity. The applicant receives a card showing the unique reference number as proof that the application has been uploaded to the database.

Any written documentation of an applicant, such as copies of identity documents, birth certificates and changes of information is scanned and stored under the applicant’s identity number on an electronic database so that it is easily obtainable.

Persons that are already on the housing list must remember that they must update their contact details at the Existing Housing office every time it changes.

If you applied for housing in conjunction with another person, the name of that person will also be indicated. If you are no longer with the person with whom you initially applied, you must visit the Existing Housing offices to correct such information.

Enquiries: Existing Housing 044 801 9113/9078

The Finance-Linked Individual Subsidy (FLISP) programme makes a once-off financial contribution towards the down-payment of a home loan that has already been secured by qualifying first-time home buyers.

Aimed at households that earn a combined monthly income of between R3 501 and R22 000, FLISP assists qualifying beneficiaries to obtain mortgage finance from a bank to:
• Acquire ownership of an existing residential property, or
• Obtain a vacant serviced residential stand that is linked to a plot-and-plan contract with home builders registered with the National Home Builders Registration Council (NHBRC), or
• Build a new house on a serviced residential stand that is already owned by the beneficiary with the assistance of a home builder registered with the National Home Builders Registration Council (NHBRC).
• Depending on the household income, a qualifying beneficiary may be subsidised between R27,960.00 and R121,626.

To qualify households must:
• Earn between R3 501 and R22 000 per month, collectively.
• Be a South African citizen with a valid Identity Document, or a permanent resident with a permanent residence permit.
• Not have qualified for a government housing subsidy before.
• Not have owned a fixed residential property before.
• Be competent to contract – over 18 years old and legally married or legally divorced and of sound mind.
• Be married or cohabiting.
• Be single with financial dependents.
• Be in the process of buying a property or own a property registered in your name for less than 12 months.
• Have a home loan that the bank has already approved.

Enquiries: Dominique Otgaar 044 801 9078
Click for FLISP Brochure.

The Informal Housing division assists with basic water and sanitation emergencies for registered indigent households in informal settlements. Report such emergencies on 801 9453 or after hours on 044 801 6300.

The George Municipality assists with the replacement of informal structures for vulnerable people living in dire circumstances or informal structures that were destroyed during disaster such as fire or flood.

The Department Human Settlements deals with each case on merit, based on a strict set of requirements including that there be proof that the cause of the fire was not arson or negligence, that the burnt-down or damaged structure was neither for sleeping only nor illegally occupying land. Due to budgetary constraints priority is given to families with children, the elderly and the disabled.

Persons who lost their informal house in a disaster and who qualify for assistance, must apply in person at the George Municipality Existing Housing Department offices behind the municipality main building. They must bring the following documents with them: their identification documents, the fire report which the fire department would have issued on the scene after the fire was extinguished and the police report which the SAPS would have issued in this regard. Documents that have been tampered with (like additional names added to the fire report) will not be accepted and assistance not given.

Persons for which structures were approved, are usually assisted within a few days or weeks depending on the capacity of the working team, whether there are sufficient materials and how many other people are being assisted on disasters that happened before theirs.

A qualifying person/household will either receive a 4mx5m corrugated sheet structure or a partially damaged structure will be fixed. The Human Settlements Department has a team of handymen that build or fix the damaged structures.

Enquiries: Wendy Mentor 044 802 2026
Harriet Meyer 044-802 2026

‘Gunplas’ (plastic sheeting) is provided only during inclement weather when the municipality has plastic sheeting available.

Due to funding constraints, preference is given to the elderly living in informal housing where roofs are dilapidated. Thereafter, if more plastic is available, applicants may be assisted following an investigation into the circumstances of applicants and the condition of the structure.

The municipality emphasises that the provision of ‘Gunplas’ is a temporary relief measure during bad weather and it remains the responsibility of the applicant to seek means to repair the roof and/or structure.

Requests for ‘Gunplas’ can be made in one of the following ways:
• During inclement weather over weekends, requests can be directed to the Ward Councillor who will in turn submit the requests to the official on standby.
• There is an official ‘Gunplas’ application form, copies of which are issued to the Ward Councillor. The applicant must fill in the form and return it to the George Municipality New Housing section, c/o St John and Varing Streets for processing.
• The applicant can go to the New Housing section and complete a form there.
• A ‘Gunplas’ application MUST include the applicant’s name, surname, identity number and the address where the ‘Gunplas’ is required.
When a request is received, an investigation is made at the address provided and ‘Gunplas’ delivered in the most deserving cases. Only one piece of ‘Gunplas’ (6m x 7.5m) per applicant will be issued.

Emergency Housing (Temporary Structures) & assistance with gunplast (micro plastic)
Harriet Meyer 044-802 2026