Visitors to the Gwaiing Landfill site will be pleasantly surprised at the number of changes that have taken place over the past few months. In August this year stricter access control was implemented to address safety concerns and ten Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) workers were employed to assist around the site and to address safety concerns.
ACCESS CONTROL IMPROVED
All vehicles now use the access gate for the refuse transfer station, and must go over the weighbridge for weighing and then proceed via the 2nd gate inside the transfer station, towards the Gwaiing landfill site. Every vehicle entering the facility is then recorded and weighed when it enters, and when it exits. This system enables the municipality to capture correct waste management data and complies with the Provincial Department of Environmental and Development Planning’s requirements.
- All household and office refuse must be dumped at the refuse transfer station. Only green waste, organic waste, woodcuttings, sawdust, builders rubble, construction waste and soil are permitted on the landfill site.
- No hazardous waste, light tubing, any vehicle parts, tyres, all asbestos products, e-waste, plastic or cartons are permitted on the landfill site.
- No mixed waste: waste must be separated at the source and disposed of at the right waste facility. (Landfill site or refuse transfer station) If you are not sure ask one of the officials on duty at the weighbridge.
FESTIVE SEASON CLOSURES
The municipal garden refuse site and transfer station is closed on 25 and 26th, December and will be open on New Year’s day for business as usual,weekdays 7am-6pm and Saturdays 7am to 5pm. The site is situated on the R102 (airport road turn-off from York Street). For queries contact 044 802 2296 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The municipality asks the public to assist and work together with the security personnel and municipal officials at these facilities to ensure that all occupational health and safety regulations, COVID -19 protocols and all licensing conditions of the refuse transfer station and Gwaiing landfill site are adhered to.
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
To address the disposal of household hazardous waste, the George Municipality will host its second Open Day for the collection of household hazardous waste on 10 December, in the parking lot opposite Outeniqua Stadium, Augusta Street. Open from 08:00 – 15:00, the public to please note all Covid-19 protocols will be observed.
SUITABLE HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
- Motor oil, oil filters, brake fluid
- Used antifreeze
- Paint, paint thinner, turpentine
- Pesticides or herbicides
- Household batteries
- CRTs, old TVs, miscellaneous electronics
- Fluorescent tubes and Globes
- Household medical waste (needles and old medicine and tablets)
HAZARDOUS WASTE NOT ACCEPTED
- Radioactive Materials
- Controlled Substances
- Bring the items you wish to dispose of in a strong box preferably in their original, labelled containers.
- Do not EVER mix products together.
- Be prepared to leave your containers, due to permitting requirements, and the volume of people that may utilise the program.
This is your opportunity to get rid of these items at NO COST and at a convenient, nearby location. For any enquiries, Grace Notshokovu 044 802 2917.