The George Municipality wishes to thank the public for a successful open day for hazardous waste held on 29 July 2022 between 08:00 and 15:00 at the Outeniqua Stadium Parking area, on Augusta Street.
A word of gratitude goes to the 150 people who came to turn in hazardous waste as the open day was a resounding success.
The following wase was collected:
- 315 litres of medical waste
- 200 fluorescent tubes / globes
- 10kg of household batteries
- 2 tons of e-waste and
- 1 ton of paint
The next open day will take place on 28 October 2022, the following items are acceptable as hazardous waste:
- Motor oil, oil filters, brake fluid
- Used antifreeze
- Paint, paint thinner, turpentine
- Pesticides or herbicides
- Household batteries
- CRT’s old TVs, miscellaneous electronics, Tyres, Fluorescent tubes, and Globes
- Household medical waste (needles and old medicine and tablets)
The following items are not acceptable as hazardous waste:
- Explosives – Ammunition
- Radioactive Materials
- Controlled Substances
Remember to bring the items you wish to dispose of in a strong box preferably in their original, labelled containers and do not mix products. For further enquiries please contact the George Municipality’s environmental services on 044 802 2900.