28 January 2022
The newly appointed district health council for the Garden Route District was introduced by the Western Cape Minister of Health, Dr Nomafrench Mbombo, on 24 January 2022.
‘Community involvement in health is a crucial part of a good health system functioning. It is also an integral part of Primary Health Care, that is why I am committed to meaningful engagement with communities and civil society. This is critical because it gives the district mayors and councillors representing local municipalities an opportunity to interrogate our Annual District Health Plan checking to see whether their local health priorities are considered,’ said Minister Mbombo.
Garden Route District Municipality (GRDM) Mayor, Ald. Memory Booysen, together with councillors reviewed the Annual District Health Plan to confirm whether their local priorities have been considered.
‘This collective approach to health in the Garden Route works because it raises the bar on health service standards,’ said Ald. Booysen. ‘Over the years, GRDM also extended its expert advice about municipal health services and will continue doing so in future.’
Councils represent their respective districts and ensure the coordination of health services with their respective municipalities. The appointment of the district health council is in accordance with the National Health Act, 2003 (Act 61 of 2003) which stipulates the establishment of district health councils.
A district health council consists of:
- a person appointed by the provincial minister to represent her
- a member of the relevant district council, who will also be the chair
- a member of the council of each local municipality nominated by the member of the relevant council
- not more than five other persons, appointed by the provincial minister, after consultation with the district council.
Members of the council are:
- Garden Route District Municipality (GRDM) Mayor, Ald. Memory Booysen
- Garden Route District Director: Mr Zee Brickles
- Cllr Melvin Roelfse (George)
- Cllr Betsi Van Noordwyk (Hessequa)
- Cllr Mavis Busakhwe (Bitou)
- Cllr Anna Janse van Rensburg (Mossel Bay)
- Cllr Joey R Canary (Oudtshoorn)
- Ms Rita Kayster (District Council on Aids and TB)
- Knysna (outstanding)
- Kannaland (outstanding)
Members of the public are requested to make use of the channels available to them, such as the district health council, to voice any matters that might need attention.
From left: Ms Rita Kayster ( District Council on Aids and TB), Cllr Melvin Roelfse (George), Garden Route District Municipality (GRDM) Mayor, Ald. Memory Booysen, Cllr Betsi Van Noordwyk (Hessequa)
, Western Cape Provincial Health Minister Nomafrench Mbombo, Cllr Mavis Busakhwe (Bitou), Cllr Ruiters representing Mossel Bay in the absence of cllr Janse van Rensburg, Mr Zee Brickles(district director: Garden Route and Central Karoo) and Simo Sithandathu(Provincial Council on Aids and TB Civil Society representative).
Principal Communications Officer
Garden Route and Central Karoo Districts
Western Cape Government Health