Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer



Property owners are responsible for keeping their properties from becoming overgrown. The municipal bylaw stipulates those overgrown erven, including edges, must be cut and planted trees and shrubs pruned.

Reporting overgrown PRIVATE properties:

Please report overgrown private properties to the municipality’s Department Environmental Services on 044 802 2900 or emailing or Please provide details of why you consider it overgrown, the address of the overgrown site as well as your contact details. An inspection will take place within seven working days from when the report was officially logged with the department.

Determining whether a property is overgrown is at the discretion of the Environmental Health Practitioner, but generally it would be considered overgrown when grass is above knee height. Shrubbery size requirements are based on the growth form of particular plants and are considered on merit.

If the property is found to be overgrown, the property owner will be informed accordingly by registered post and instructed to clear the property within 14 to 21 work days from the date on the registered letter.

Once the notice period has expired, the property will be inspected again. If found to still be overgrown, a municipal contractor will be appointed and instructed to clear the property within five working days. The cost of clearing will be added to the property owner’s municipal account.

Please note properties belonging to provincial or national government departments are handled in the same way as private properties and should be reported as above.

Reporting overgrown MUNICIPAL properties:

Please report overgrown municipal properties to Parks and Recreation on 044 802 2900 or email (grassed properties) or

The municipality cuts grass on municipal properties according to a schedule and addresses areas of concern as necessary and according to the available resources.