Rehabilitation of the Nelson Mandela Blvd and York Street Intersection
ROAD CONSTRUCTION IN GEORGE
Rehabilitation of the Nelson Mandela Blvd and York Street Intersection, George will impact road users until the end of February 2023.
Rehabilitation of York Street, Southbound
PLANNED CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES ON YORK STREET:
The works comprise rehabilitation of the Nelson Mandela Blvd and York Street Intersection,
George. The section in question is the intersection of Nelson Mandela Boulevard and York Street.
20-24 February 2023.
Traffic congestion can be expected.
The remedial work will require the milling and removal of existing bituminous layers as well as milling and
removal of existing gravel base layers. After the milling operations will follow the placing of new bituminous base layers and surface layers.
- Traffic heading south on York Street will have access to Nelson Mandela Boulevard on Monday and Thursday
- Only light vehicles will have access to Nelson Mandela Boulevard from Meade Street’s side between Meade Street and York Street for the entire period.
- Traffic heading north on York Street will not have access to Nelson Mandela Boulevard for the entire period.
- Traffic heading south on York Street will not have access to Marthinus Street for the entire period.
- Access between York Street Northbound and Marthinus Street will only be available on Monday and Thursday.
- No access between York Street and Marthinus Street on Tuesday and Wednesday.
There will be height differences between the two lanes while milling and asphalt construction work are in progress. Drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians must exercise extreme caution, especially during wet conditions, when visibility is poor, and at night. Vehicles with low-profile tyres and motorcyclists must take extra care.
PROJECT ENQUIRIES: iX Engineers – 076 393 1177
The George Municipality apologises for the inconvenience and appeals to road users to be patient and exercise caution during the project. Please look out for and adhere to temporary road signage and roadworks personnel.