George Municipality has systematically over the past two years been working with over 50 000 consumers to achieve a 100% update of all Prepaid Meters (TID PROCESS). The municipality has less than 6400 Meters to update and is currently at an 87% achievement rate. The STS system uses a very high security algorithm which needs to be updated before November 2024 in order for the meters to correctly function. If your meter is not updated before the deadline, you will not be able to recharge your prepaid meter with the new tokens and will not have power (once your units run out). The municipality is now busy in areas Thembalethu, Conville, Wilderness and Touwsranten with field staff and contractor teams going out weekly to do inspections and assist with the updates.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR METER HAS BEEN UPDATED
1. If you have been visited by one of our teams, a pink sticker will be displayed on your meter.
2. If you followed the KEYCHANGE Token process you are aware your meter has been updated.
3. If you remain unsure, please contact Ontec for verification that your meter has been updated on 044 873 5474.
IF YOUR METER IS NOT UPDATED YOU WILL RECEIVE WITH YOUR NEXT PURCHASE – A CREDIT TOKEN, AND TWO KEYCHANGE TOKENS which must be inserted in below sequence:
1. FIRST INSERT ALL old or unused tokens. The meter will NOT accept your old or unused tokens, once you enter the key change token and no reimbursement can be made on these tokens.
2. Enter the KEY CHANGE TOKEN 1 , wait for meter to accept it and then enter KEY CHANGE TOKEN 2, wait for the meter to accept it.
3. INSERT your INDIGENT TOKEN if you have one.
4. INSERT your NEW CREDIT TOKEN.
5. Should your meter not accept the Key Change Tokens, it will become unresponsive. Please call 044 801 9222 for assistance during working hours only.
Verification or Queries – If you receive an extra token and you are unsure what to do?
Customers may phone the George Municipality on 044 801 9222 or Ontec on 044 873 5474 for verification, for response to queries OR to request that their software be addressed. Please note that all municipal and/or Ontec officials carry identification cards with a photograph and their ID number as well as a copy of a verification letter explaining the purpose of their visit.